According to the National Weather Service, 2017 was a “hyperactive and catastrophic hurricane season”. With over 3,000 deaths and $282+ billion dollars in damages it was the costliest ever in death toll and destruction. We all remember the three major ones – Harvey, Irma and Maria and the harm they caused.
Just this week it was announced that another major storm will make landfall. Hurricane Florence is expected to hit the coast of North Carolina this weekend and with its arrival many millions of people will be displaced and there is potential for major damage to countless homes and businesses.
It’s important that in times of crisis your business is prepared with a plan of action to communicate with employees and stakeholders. Whether it’s a hurricane, tornado, blizzard or other natural disaster always ensure the wellbeing of your employees as they are your company’s most important asset.
- Develop an emergency response plan with information for business offices with evacuation routes, emergency contacts, and safety procedures for your employees
- Close your offices well in advance
- Set up a crisis hotline or contact page where employees can get updates and stay connected
- Make sure data backup systems are operational and fortify your office area before the disaster hits
- Form a relief group to help recovery efforts or set up a relief fund for those effected by the disaster
Does your company have an emergency response plan? Please share your insights and ideas with me: email@example.com